Monday, January 22, 2007

am i afraid of commitment?

this weekend i was offered a work related opportunity. this situation could result in a fun/cool project to work on, and the promise of some residual income in the future. my skill set is well matched to the project. the people working on the project seem like fun and agreeable types. and the project will be done in my spare time between now, and, about november, if i want to take that long to complete it.

the project includes: me animating. and me making an educational DVD.

now, my hangups are: i currently have a full time job. i have several other small projects which i want to make, and have planned on making durring this same time period. i dont want to be responsible for the creation of the DVD. and i may be tied to this till nov.

the questions that come to mind are: will i have time to do this and those projects while working a full time job? is it worth possibly putting off other projects to do this? is it financially worth it, considering the possibilities of residuals? do i want to be tied to this till Nov.?

of all of those questions, is my biggest hangup the possibility of commiting to something till nov? if i was offered a job at my current place of employ, which was set to last untill nov., would i take it? if i had to make a decision about the project right now, on the spot, what would i say?

well, the truth of the matter is: if i had to make a decision on the spot right now, i would say "no." why? because that feels like the right answer. now, am i afraid of the unknown, and is that paralyzing my abilites to look forward to the possible outcomes of this project? possibly. but i feel inclined to commit myself to the projects that i have personally decided to execute. i feel like i have been putting them off for too long, and now that i am finally of the mindset to do them, i should follow through.

in fact, i feel that being personally creative, while holding down a regular job, is probably the best option for me at this point. one of my biggest frustrations over the past couple of years is that i have been tied to everyone elses project, and not doing enough of my own. now, is the promise of a healthy residual enough to sway my opinions? is that my only motivation for getting in on this "game"? if so, will that be enough for me to stay committed to it untill possibly nov.?

hhmmm . . . i'll have to give this a little more thought, and get back to you. . .

No comments: